I guess, maybe it’s only me, but I think that we Koreans relly like to roll or wrap things up. We have a name called Ssam. There is no Korean I know who doesn’t like a piece of grilled samgyeopsal(port belly) in lettuce wrap with gochujang(hot pepper paste). I doesn’t matter if we don’t have any meat. We don’t mind wrapping steamed rice with sesame leaf with little Deonjang (soy bean pates). It is still delicious to me. We also love to roll cooked rice and any other ingredient such as kimci, seafood,vegetables with kim(dried seaweed), called Kimbap. Mil ssam roll here is one of that kind,too. Only difference is rolling with Mil (flour) crepes.
You can put anything you want inside. I used what I have in my fridge which are carrots, bean sprouts, eggs and beef. This might look similar to Mexican burrito in terms of appearance. Well, the difference comes from basic flavors such as soy sauce or much more chewy shitake mushroom. This is my husband favorite. Let’s see if this can be your favorite,too!
Mil Ssam Roll
Ingredients (serving 2)
1 cup of flower
1 cup of milk
1 lb beef, 1 pepper, 1 carrot, 2 eggs and bean sprout(optional)
Sauce: soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seed, salt, sugar, pepper, garlic
How to make
- Make the batter: mix flower, milk, little salt and ½ cup of water.
- Julienne carrot and other vegetable. Fry in medium heat pan for 10 min. Set aside.
3. Separate egg white and egg yolk and make each to thin crepe. Julienne and set aside.
4. Marinade beef with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, sesame oil and grated garlic for 10 minutes. And fry quickly.
5. Using measuring cup, take 1/3 cup of batter and make a thin crepe. Cool down.
6. Make a roll: put one crepe and stack with prepared toppings. Roll smoothly like sushi roll. Slice bite size.
Tip of this recipe is to roll when flour crepe is still warm. This way makes you easier to roll everything tightly.