This was originally published on www. Koreataste.org
This was my first Chuseok in California where I don’t have any family member to share fully. So I tried to cheer myself up by watching Korean TV programs and all the yam Chuseok pictures including galbi, jeon, japchae and songpyeon. Then I couldn’t stand it anymore, so decided to make one of them, which is, songpyeon. Because usual songpyeon was kind of boring to me, I searched somewhat new or different recipes. With a ‘fusion’ tendency of ddeok(rice cake) industry toward globalization, songpyeon is also experiencing a change in terms of presentation and taste.
This is what I found in one of Naver blogs. I changed a little bit considering my situation.
I think this is really cute!!
Fusion Songpyeon (serving for 2)
3 cups of fine rice powder
Three Jell-o powder (strawberry, lemon and pistachio)
Filling- 1 tablespoon of grinded sesame seed, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and a pinch of salt)
1 table spoon of olive oil and same amount of sesame oil for brushing
1. Prepare 3 cups of fine rice powder (if it is coarse, grind finely using food processor)
2. Put 1 cup of rice powder in a bowl and put a pinch of strawberry flavored Jell-o powder and 3 teaspoons of hot water( if you bought rice power in store you might need extra water). Knead using a spoon first 1 minute (because it is hot) and change to your hand for 10 min. The dough should be soft like earlobe, otherwise it will have ugly crack when you steam it. Cover plastic wrap and set aside. Repeat same process for yellow color dough with lemon Jell-o and green color with pistachio Jell-o.
3. Prepare the filling (1 tablespoon of grinded sesame seed , 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and a pinch of salt), Or you can create your own filling such as sweet potato or strawberry jam!
4. Pull off around 15~16 g of rice powder dough, roll it into a small ball and make a dent in the center. Put the filling stuffs in it, close up the balls edges.
▶For peachshape – Using any cup with a round bottom edge, slightly press half of the rice cake ball vertically so you can get a half circle line. With green dough, make a little leaf and put under the pink peach rice cake ball.
▶For pumpkin shape-Holding rice cake ball’s top and bottom with fingers, press lengthwise with the edge of pork ,spacing about 1 inch apart. You can make the stalk end of a pumpkin with a green dough.
▶For strawberry shape- Mold pink dough into a conical hat shape and prick holes with a toothpick. For strawberry stalk, use a green dough and a cutter.
5. Pour water into the steaming pot, heat it up for 9 min. on high heat. When it boils, layer pine needles on the bottom. Place the shaped dough and steam for 20 min. on high heat.
6. Take out the steamed rice cake, quickly rinse in cold water, remove the pine needles, drain water and coat with sesame oil. Put them on a plate.
tip: you don’t want to put too much Jell-o powder because it disturbes the taste. Use just a pinch!!